The EG Chamber and the Town of East Greenwich and with the support of Commerce Rhode Island will be closing a section of Main Street as part of the Take it Outside RI initiative to help our small businesses beginning this Sunday, September 6. Our Main Street is a key factor to East Greenwich remaining a well-known destination in the state and region, which creates many positive ripple effects for residents and businesses throughout our town.
Due to COVID-19, this year we were not able to hold our annual Main Street Strolls, we have had to postpone our popular Restaurant Week and the Summer's End concert will not be taking place.
There are many great businesses throughout East Greenwich but for these reasons we believe it’s important to help out our core business district.
With this in mind, we are excited to announce that starting this Sunday, September 6, a section of Main Street will be closed every Sunday from 3:00pm to 8:30pm (weather permitting).
We hope that this initiative will allow these businesses to expand operations and sales, while providing customers a safer and more socially distant shopping and dining experience.
How will it work?
- Main Street will be closed (from Dedford Street to King Street) to parking and traffic on Sundays this fall from 3PM to 8:30PM starting Sunday, September 6.
- We expect a parking ban to be put in place at 2:00pm Sunday.
- During this time, restaurants and retailers located in the designated location will be able to set up additional customers tables and move salable merchandise in the street in front of their respective establishments.
- Restaurants and retailers can set up on the street in the parking space of their business to the outer boundary of the parking spot in front.
- At 8:30PM all businesses in the designated location will need to begin to bring back items and guests in from the street, as normal traffic and parking will resume at 9PM.
We are hopeful this program will not only benefit the businesses on Main Street in this designated location, but will also benefit businesses all around East Greenwich. Already, East Greenwich is receiving media attention and we are hoping to make all of East Greenwich an enhanced destination for dining and shopping.
During this time we invite any EG Chamber business to send any upcoming promotions that you would like us to disseminate through our social media, email and website.
We need and want our small businesses in all parts of East Greenwich to survive and thrive.
For more information, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org